Thursday, January 16, 2014

Retro and Vintage Estate Sale Finds! | No Pattern Required


January 16, 2014


Retro and Vintage Estate Sale Finds!

By Sara In AZ


Probably most of y’all know by now that I avoid Estate Sales like the plague…I’ve had some really bad experiences over the past few years, so now I mostly just concentrate on going to the thrift stores and flea markets.


However, if we are out and about and I see a sign for an “Estate Sale” this-a-way….well, I usually am compelled to drive by and check it out. This happened to Mike and I a few weeks ago when we were in a neighborhood checking out some houses up for sale (unfortunately no luck on the houses). We were just driving by and I saw the sign up for a sale…..I was unsure if the sale would even still be going on as it was very late in the day for an estate sale….probably around 3 pm. We threw caution to the wind and drove in the direction all the signs were pointing and we were both shocked to see the sale was still open.


We had actually arrived on the very last day of an estate sale that had been going on for 3 weekends in a row. They were “blowin’ out the doors” so to speak and just looking to get rid of whatever they could! The guy running the sale was SO super nice, I just loved him and would probably make it a point to go to every sale he had….unfortunately he had come in to town from San Diego specifically at the family’s request to do this sale for the estate……bummer.


So Mike and I rooted around for probably a good hour finding things here and there…..I found other things that I did not picture here like an old Hallmark photo album and some other odds and ends. The prices were CRAZY cheap….so cheap that you wanted to keep finding stuff…though I did splurge on one thing you will see at the end. Pretty much everything that I bought was a dollar….or less….we’d bring a stack of stuff up to buy and they’d say we could have the whole stack for $3, so it will be hard for me to be really exact on what I actually paid for stuff.


So, what did we find….well, let’s take a look-see!


100_5846


You know that I couldn’t pass up a set of vintage felt Christmas stockings!


100_5850


They even had their original labels still attached.


100_5852


These old Avon catalogs…funny story…..these weren’t really even out for sale, they were just in a box that was falling apart in the garage. I saw these old Avon catalogs peeking out from under the cardboard and wondered what years they were from, after a bunch of digging it seemed like it was mostly 1970s and 1980s. I could not resist buying a stack since I remember Avon so vividly from my childhood…expect to see scans of these old catalogs coming up in the future!


100_5849


OK, yes….a Mr. Potato Head knock-off! I thought this was rather hilarious and interesting that it was still in the original box. The box says ‘Made In Western Germany’ on the side.


100_5856


It looks like most all of the parts are still there, but the poor guy is missing one foot!


100_5855


Oh lord, vintage dish towels. It’s a weakness, I admit it…..I cannot pass one up if it’s cheap! I think Mike would be just fine if he never, ever saw another vintage dish towel come through our doors again! ha!


100_5859


All of the towels were $1, except the one on the left below…that one was $4 and they were not budging on that price. It’s a Pat Prichard linen towel and oh my gosh….SO cute. Along the top it says “There’s An Angel In The Kitchen” and just check out all of those cookies, cupcakes and cakes surrounding the oven…..adorable!


100_5862


That wraps up my finds….has anyone else been to any estate sales lately? Any fabulous finds? Do tell!




Source:


http://ift.tt/1j04245










The Late News from http://ift.tt/1h0pLYT