Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Pinterest is a Problem | Sara Dobie Bauer's Blog





Pinterest: code word for “Why Sara is often and easily distracted.” How did I get sucked into this? One of my girlfriends made me do it. I blame her wholeheartedly.


Pinterest is a pinboard-style photo-sharing website that allows users to create and manage theme-based image collections such as events, interests, and hobbies. Remember the collages you used to make as a kid? Well, Pinterest is the same idea, only you can “pin” images from the web onto your “boards.”


"For the Home." I mean, how cool is this??

“For the Home.” I mean, how cool is this??



At first, I wasn’t too interested in this newfangled site. I “pinned” things on occasion, but I only did so to keep tabs on décor for our new home. I rarely scanned other peoples’ boards, and I certainly didn’t “re-pin” anything. Bah. I was too busy doing important things to re-pin. Bah!


Yeah, well … I can now say with certainty: I am a total addict. I love Pinterest. I’m one of those annoying people who say things like, “Well, I saw on Pinterest …” or “According to Pinterest …” Yeah. Me.


It started innocently enough. I had a board called “For the Home” and “My Style.” These were practical boards. While browsing the sites of Lowe’s or Razorz Edge in Tucson, it was easy to pin the things I wanted to remember. That way, I could find them again when it was time to place an order. Simple. I even had Jake using Pinterest so he could save odds and ends he wanted me to see.


And then … and then … I was invited to join a group on Pinterest called “We’ve Been Sherlocked: BBC Sherlock Community.” The acceptance of this invitation was the beginning of my problem. I soon realized, not only were obsessions openly shared on Pinterest—obsessions were revered. And I’m very much obsessed with BBC’s Sherlock.


From the "My Style" board. Gorgeous.

From the “My Style” board. Gorgeous.



I’ve started following strangers; not in the creepy, stalker way. “Follow” is the term Pinterest uses when you choose to display other people’s images on your streaming computer bulletin board. For instance, there’s this woman named Agnes Brun who has created the most overwhelmingly gorgeous board called “My Mind Palace.” Frankly, I obsess over her pins daily.


Friends pin recipes, which turn out to be culinary masterpieces. They pin clothes that I MUST OWN. They pin workout regiments, and the best: they post hilarious pictures that make it to my “Funny Happy” board.


Is most of this a waste of productive time? Yes. Is Pinterest still useful to me? Of course. Not only does Pinterest allow me momentary relaxation, but it truly is a great source for those of us with slipping memory banks. Via Pinterest, I can always find my way back to the things I love.


Do I want you to join in my evil addiction? Perhaps. I mean, it’s more fun than Facebook. And it’s been proven that looking at pretty things makes people happy. Therefore, Pinterest makes people happy. So maybe it’s not so evil after all.


Come find me at http://pinterest.com/saradobiebauer/.


From the "Funny Happy" board. Laughter is good.

From the “Funny Happy” board. Laughter is good.






Source:


http://saradobie.wordpress.com/2013/07/03/pinterest-is-a-problem/










The News from http://funyhalloween.blogspot.com