Thursday, July 11, 2013

Rage Against the Minivan: What I'm reading: summer 2013


Someone once told me, after if I asked if they liked to read, that they didn’t read because they don’t have a hard time sleeping. I found that funny but also a little bit true. I’ve never been a good sleeper. But I’m a pretty voracious reader. I posted a few books I’ve been reading last week, and promptly remembered a few I’d forgotten and finished a few more. Here are some more books I’ve enjoyed recently.


Photo-May-07-12-24-57-AM_thumb7


Orphan Justice by Johnny Carr – Written by an executive from Bethany Christian Services, this book explores the facets of orphan care beyond adoption: what’s working, what isn’t, and how we can do more.


The Last Brother by Nathacha Appanah – This is a short but profound book about an unlikely friendship between two boys during WWII, set in Mauritius. Our book club read it and found it a quick and meaningful read.


The Fault in Our Stars by John Green – It seems like everyone I know has been reading this book, so I feel weird say it, but I was a little ambivalent on this one. It was like Dawson’s Creek dialogue in a Nicholas Sparks novel. It may have helped if I had known it was target for young adults before I started reading, but even still . . . . not my favorite.


Quiet by Susan Cain – I’ve been looking forward to reading this, but was a little disappointed. The book does a great job of explaining how to interact with introverts and what their strengths are, but I guess, as an introvert, I was hoping for a little more practical application.


Celebrity sTalker by Suzy Soro – Suzy is one of the funniests gals I know on twitter, and this book chronicles her hilarious obsession with celebrities as a struggling comic in Los Angeles.


Divergent by Veronica Roth – This came highly recommended but it was not for me. AA little too “adolescent fiction”.


Sacred Subdivisions by Justin Wilford – We met Justin at a part a few months ago and I was so interested to hear about his book. It’s a fascinating look at the megachurch phenomenon, written from a secular perspective.


Too Loud, Too Bright, Too Fast, Too Tight by Sharon Heller – This is a really good read on Sensory Processing Disorder and how to manage life while being easily overwhelmed to sensory input (which I am.)




Source:


http://www.rageagainsttheminivan.com/2013/07/what-im-reading-summer-2013.html










The News from http://funyhalloween.blogspot.com