Saturday, August 3, 2013

My Nude is Going to Miami for 9 Days Because I Like it on the ...


OK, sorry, soapbox moment. Just warning you now. :)


I wrote the original text of this blog on another blog back in 2010 & just rehash it during the annual nothing to do with cancer or boobies meme…..and BTW, breast cancer awareness month is October. Can’t we wait for then instead of taking over the summer with this stuff? Or maybe do it in April so it’s the furthest out from October and jogs people’s memories?


So here it is again (remember this is an old post just reposted since folks are at it again)…..


**********************************************************


I am sure I am going to get beaten down for this post, but I just have to comment on this topic.


Since it is October and pink nausea is once again upon us like a wave of freaked out parents trying to find the last mechanical rat in town someone has decided to start up the breast cancer “awareness” via Facebook statuses trend again. I would be fully on board with this if it was actually done right and not just done as an excuse for grown women to act like 12 year old girls and not feel guilty. If you want to act 12 then feel free to do so and hold your head high. I am a guy so I pretty much act 12 years old as a way of existence and it can be fun. I highly encourage you to try it out. :-)


By posting “I like it on the couch”, “I like it on the floor”, “I like it on kitchen counter”, etc, etc you get your friends and family to chuckle and wonder, but you really do nothing for breast cancer awareness. If someone has to ask about why you posted that and you tell them that it’s for breast cancer awareness do they really do any type of follow up? I highly doubt that they do and unless you have been living under a rock or cave adjacent to Osama bin Laden you should have heard about breast cancer by now….and odds are Osama has internet access so I’m not sure that can be used as an excuse either.


What we need to do is provide INFORMATION! Yeah, I know crazy idea. How about when you post your “I like it on the kitchen counter” you also post a shortened URL to some actual information and facts to help educate people. People may not want to admit it, but if you post that link w/that status they are probably going to click it just to see if they can get a peak of what you like on the kitchen counter. Once they get to that information some of them might just read up on some of the information available out there and it could actually make a difference for them or one of their loved ones….and who knows, you might just learn something yourself. Isn’t that what awareness is about?


Here are some shortened links you can use:


http://bit.ly/93wS6h – Susan G Komen “Understanding Breast Cancer” page


http://bit.ly/cSByvM – What is Breast Cancer (Komen)


http://bit.ly/cekquc – Who Gets Breast Cancer (Komen)


http://bit.ly/9E05Yn – Warning Signs of Breast Cancer (Komen)


http://bit.ly/bBqyCo – Breast Facts for Men (Komen) – Yes, moobs and pecs get breast cancer too.


http://bit.ly/9ZHNyj – Young Survival Coalition (YSC) – Yes, young women get breast cancer too! It’s not just about mom and grandma’s boobies


http://bit.ly/dniK2s – Some facts about breast cancer in young women from YSC (e.g. Approx 10K women under 40 will be diagnosed w/breast cancer each year and it’s the leading cause of cancer deaths in women 15-54)


http://bit.ly/9HyxwZ – American Cancer Society info page on breast cancer


By the way, I am approaching my 8yr cancer-versary this November and that is why this bothers me so much. Maybe if people posted information that yes 24 year olds do get cancer and here are some facts I might have been diagnosed sooner. That being said, I am one of the lucky ones. I survived, but many do not. Maybe if we posted information to actually educate people rather than just getting a laugh or telling people cancer exists (which pretty much everyone knows by now) we would have more survivors! Everyone is out there trying to act all proud of themselves for doing something for breast cancer “awareness” by posting these funny status updates, when they really aren’t doing anything other than getting a good giggle. Well, I guess maybe the campaign did do some good. I wrote this post complaining about it and posted links to information people can actually use. I wonder if anyone will actually read/use them. Hmmmm…. :-)


**********************************************************


OK, new text again. So yes, Osama is dead and now I’m approaching my 11 year cancer-versary. Yeah!


BTW, this year’s “breast caner awareness” meme, which was actually used last year as well and is just being rehashed, is stating that you will be going somewhere for a certain amount of time based on a list. Mine would be “I’m going to Miami for 9 Days”.


As someone else wrote on anther site: “It’s funny (in a sad way) that nobody ever posts: I’m going to [awareness website] and donating $[insert dollar amount here based on your birthdate].”


That would really be great!






Source:


http://randandomness.wordpress.com/2013/08/03/my-nude-is-going-to-miami-for-9-days-because-i-like-it-on-the/










The News from http://funyhalloween.blogspot.com