Sunday, July 7, 2013

Kevin Nealon's 'Whelmed…But Not Overly' is Overwhelmingly Funny.




I’d been planning on reviewing Kevin Nealon’s new comedy special called, “Whelmed…But Not Overly,” but I thought, “Then I have to watch it.” I don’t know why it took me a while to do it since I loved Nealon on SNL and “Weeds.” It’s just I got so fucking lazy that I kept making excuses.


When I finally popped the special in Nealon, himself, echoed my laziness. Right off the bat he opened the show stating how he wanted to do a lot of different things but he was just too lazy. This segued into a bit about how people reminisce about times when they weren’t so lazy. Nealon goes into how people, even manly men, raise their voices when they say, “Remember when we…”



Nealon’s act is very fast paced, almost like his character on SNL as “Mr. Subliminal” and “Weeds” as Doug Wilson. Similar to how his skits were on SNL, Nealon goes in and out of stand-up mode and character actor with small bits throughout the special. From flu shots to getting tramp stamps on behind your neck because, eventually, your skin will sag down toward your lower back and from throwing up to avoiding wearing red shirts to Target. “I don’t mind helping but I have to get some shopping done,” Nealon delivers his best as he does what comes natural to him.


Nealon has been primarily an actor in his career but he started his showbiz life doing stand-up and “Whelmed…But Not Overly” showcases his brilliance as a comedian. This special presents Nealon in his most comfortable state – stand-up comedian. As successful as Nealon has been as an actor, it’s nice to see him back where he first began.


BYLINE:


Jason Tanamor is the Editor of Zoiks! Online. He is also the author of the novels, "Hello Lesbian!" and "Anonymous." Email Jason at jason@zoiksonline.com.




Source:


http://www.zoiksonline.com/2013/07/kevin-nealons-whelmedbut-not-overly-is.html










The News from http://funyhalloween.blogspot.com